Mushroom Brie Soup With Some Twists



I think the reason why everyone gets so excited about fall is because it’s when we can start using our ovens again. Summer food is fun, but it gets old fast. Personally, I don’t think we have a lot of variety food-wise in our house when it’s summer, but then again, we’re busy doing so many other things! 

Fall and Winter mean the house is filled with so many good smells like pumpkin bread or simmering stews. My favorite smell (at least right now) is caramelized onions, which go in so many things – like soup. 

With the official start of winter, I’ve been having a hankering for mushroom brie soup. It started a few years ago when my mom and I went to the Stonehouse Grill and she ordered it. I tried some and I was HOOKED. It was delicious and I was determined to find a recipe. 

And I did! This one to be exact. I’ve followed it as it reads but I’ve also found if I sub out certain ingredients, I like it even better. 

This recipe calls for a diced onion, but I like to use a shallot or two instead. It also asks for white wine, which does work really well, but I use Marsala wine instead. Finally, instead of standard brie, I use Alouette Crème de Brie mostly because I don’t want to fish out the rind. I think it helps make the soup even creamier. 

To me, these substitutions make the soup taste more like a chicken marsala soup because of the wine choice and the shallots, though it doesn’t actually have chicken (but the more I think about it, maybe shredded up rotisserie chicken would be good in this, though it honestly is really filling on its own).

Like the original recipe, I finish my soup off my pulverizing it with the immersion blender. Personally, I don’t like a chunky soup, and blending it ensures you get all the flavors in a spoonful. I also can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard that people don’t like mushrooms because of their “texture.” Well, blending everything together means that “texture” is gone!



And that’s it! It’s a great winter soup recipe that makes sense to make between now and the end of February. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts