Chicken Marsala Ravioli


I am a BIG fan of chicken marsala and we actually make it at least once a week in our house. This is primarily because Friday is pizza day for us, and I like my pizza with mushrooms. Well, these don't all get used in one sitting, so I have to figure out a way to use them before they go off. So the remainder of the mushrooms either go in stir fry or marsala, usually. 

I had this idea that I could use the sauce for this dish as a filling for ravioli. Like, if I chopped up everything very fine, you could get everything in one bite. As Jamie Oliver would say, it's "very chef-y". 

So that's what I did. I cut up a package of chicken into very fine chunks, added salt and pepper, and cooked in a pan on the stove. If you're newer to cooking, the smaller the pieces are, the quicker they cook. I cooked until the pieces were golden brown and set aside, 

I also cut up the mushrooms and shallots up super fine as well. Usually when I make regular marsala, The mushrooms are cut more artfully, but in this case, I needed to make sure they'd fit in a ravioli. 

With butter melted in a pan, I added the shallots and cooked for a minute, then added some corn starch to make a roux. I don't normally do this for typical marsala, but my thinking was this needs to be thick enough to stay in the ravioli casing. Once that was thick, I added chicken broth, marsala wine, and heavy cream. Then I added the mushrooms. 

This mixture was THICK. Which is what I wanted. Once everything felt mixed, I added the chicken back, stirred, and then let cool for about 10 minutes. 

I could have made my own pasta, but this felt exhaustive enough, so I used wonton wrappers instead. They're a great workaround when you've already spent the bulk of your time making the filling. 

I boiled water and added the ravioli for 2 minutes (though 1 was probably PLENTY). I also tried to add them to a pan to get some of that golden brown color, but it proved to be disastrous lol. The two I added to the pan immediately stuck and did not want to come off so I lost them in the process. 

While this was kind of a time-consuming test kitchen, I think the ravioli turned out the way I envisioned and I'm proud of it. The tasted good, but were better the next day (which I think is how a lot of Italian food goes). After a night in the fridge, my leftovers seemed sturdier and were less prone to fall apart. 

Chicken Marsala Ravioli-2

Would I make them again? Probably. Especially if I have time on my hands. I think next time using a rotisserie chicken might be even better.  

Comments

Popular Posts