Outdoor Lawn Ornaments

I recently finished ornaments to go with the toy soldiers in the yard! After Halloween, we felt like the soldiers needed something extra (since we had a mummy and Frankenstein for Halloween). Originally we thought presents might be nice, but then after thinking about it some more, I decided ornaments to try to get a more sophisticated look. 

To get a perfect circle, I actually used the lid for our garbage can lol. You can probably use the pencil/string trick as well, but I think if you have something around your house in the size you want, it's much quicker. Even if you wanted to just use a large bowl and make smaller ornaments that would probably look great too. 

I spent time looking at Pinterest for inspiration on how to design these. To accomplish that fancier look, I decided to stay within a traditional Christmas color palette of green, gold, and red (and then for some added color, the darker blue). 

Using Frogtape, I got crisp, clean lines on the ornaments that needed them (I tried using other painters' tape and really, Frogtape is the clear winner. Bleed seems to happen a lot more with cheaper tape). 

I also put my Cricut to use to make my own stencils on the blue ornament with snowflakes. I actually found free vector downloads of snowflakes I liked and opened them in the Cricut canvas instead of using the ones Cricut has available. 

When I mounted the ornaments onto the wooden stakes, I cocked them a bit to get the jauntier look like maybe they were tossed onto the yard. 

This was a fairly quick and easy project. What takes the most time is probably the fact that to get the colors to look richer, you do need multiple coats of paint. I never really clock how long my projects take but I did this one in conjunction with the Fortune Teller's Booth and it felt like it was moving along pretty quickly. 

Cost Breakdown: 

  • Plywood: $17
  • Paint: $16
  • Wooden Stakes (12 pack): $12
  • Clear Coat: $8.50
Estimated Total Cost: $53.50

What I Listened To During This Project: 
The Book of Magic by Alice Hoffman. I'd been waiting for this book to be available on the Libby app for a while and I jumped on it when I got the notification it was ready. I'm almost finished and though I like it, I do prefer Magic Lessons best in the Practical Magic series. 


Red Plywood Lawn Ornament

Gold Plywood Lawn Ornament

Green Plywood Lawn Ornament

Blue Plywood Lawn Ornament

House at night with lawn ornaments










Comments

Popular Posts